Snes9x for Old 3DS / 2DS Version 1.10 Released (20 Feb 2017)
Snes9x for 3DS is an SNES emulator for your old 3DS / 2DS. It runs many games at full speed (60 fps). It supports games that use CX4 chip (Megaman X2/X3), the SDD-1 chip (Star Ocean, Super Street Fighter 2 Alpha), DSP chip (Super Mario Kart). It also runs games that use the SA-1 chip (Super Mario RPG, Kirby's Dreamland), SuperFX chip (Yoshi's Island, Star Fox etc) but these games run with plenty of frame drops. It has a much high compatibility than existing SNES emulators on the 3DS because it uses Snes9x 1.43 as a base, and is a good alternative if your existing emulators cannot play all the games.
It also runs better on the New 3DS. Games that slow on the Old 3DS will benefit from the higher clock speed that the New 3DS offers! (In some New 3DS set ups you may have to manually force the clock speed up to enjoy the performance boost)
1. Copy the Snes9x_3ds.smdh, Snes9x_3ds.3dsx, Snes9x_3ds.smdh and snes9x_3ds_top.png into any folder on your SD card. (Both files must be in the same folder)
2. Place your SNES ROMs into your SD card into any folder (for v0.3 and above)
3. Go to your Homebrew Launcher and launch the snes9x_3ds.3dsx emulator.
1. Use your favorite CIA installer to install snes9x_3ds.cia into your CFW.
2. Place your SNES ROMs inside any folder.
3. Copy snes9x_3ds_top.png to ROOT of your SD card.
4. Exit your CIA installer and go to your CFW's home screen to launch the app.
Inside the Emulator:
1. Tap the bottom screen for the menu.
2. Use Up/Down to choose option, and A to confirm.
3. Use Left/Right to change between ROM selection and emulator options.
4. You can quit the emulator to your homebrew launcher / your CFW's home screen.
Feedback and bug reports are welcome. Help with development is also welcome!
Please help to contribute to the list:http://wiki.gbatemp.net/wiki/Snes9x_for_3DS
1. Graphic modes 0 - 7.
2. Save states of up to 4 slots.
3. Uses CSND for audio.
4. Frame skipping
5. Full screen
6. SDD1 chip (Star Ocean, Super Street Fighter 2 Alpha works)
7. DSP-1 (Pilotwings works well / Super Mario Kart / Ace o Nerae)
8. CX4 (Megaman X2/X3 runs well)
9. SA-1 (Super Mario RPG, Kirby Dreamland: slow on old 3DS. runs well on new 3DS)
10. SuperFX (Yoshi's Island: slow on old 3DS. runs well on new 3DS)
11. Runs faster on new 3DS.
Not Available / Problematic:
1. Minor sound issues.
2. Mosaic effect and mid-frame palette update problems - we use the 3DS hardware for speed; but we have to give up these two features for it. Most games work well without it. If you game's colours look funny, go to the Settings and try changing the palette options.
3. Resume from sleep mode
Finally, think it's time.
Ok v1.10 is out. I don't expect many more updates from now on... unless there are bugs that needs fixing, or some compatibility problems that are relatively easy to fix.
- Implemented SA-1 sleep speed-hacks on the following games. These games run faster and some are able to run at 60 fps on the Old 3DS when things on-screen aren't too busy:
Super Mario RPG; Kirby’s Dreamland; Jikkyou Oshaberi Parodius; Kirby Super Star; Marvelous; Super Robot Taisen; Panic Bomber World; Dragon Ball Hyper Dimension; SD Gundam Next; Power Rangers Zeo; Daisenryaku Expert 2; Masters New Augusta 3; Bass Fishing; J96 Dream Stadium; Shining Scorpion; Pebble Beach New; PGA European Tour; SD F1 Grand Prix;
- Fixed mode 7’s CLIP_10_BIT_SIGNED formula to use the original Snes9x’s formula. This fixes Super Chase HQ’s mode 7 intro.
- Imported SPC7110 decompressor chip code from Snes9x 1.52. Now Tengai Makyou Zero (Far East of Eden Zero) can boot after 2 restarts, and in-game graphics appears without problems.
- Fixed important bug in cheat engine so that it doesn't not increment the 65816 processor's clock cycles when enabling/disabling cheats.
- Fixed the problem of the menu not using the correct font when the emulator first boots up.
- Added one more mode when using the 3D slider for a sharper image.
- Major refactoring of code.
- Fixed SA1 MMC's memory map code by copying it from Snes9x 1.54.2. Now Super Mario World hack VLDC 9 boots.
- Fixed Mode 0 rendering bug. The original bug was there since day 1 and with this fix, Lagoon's title screen looks right.